DRPT and CSX Richmond Rail Improvement Projects (Update September 2016)
September 19 - 30: Hermitage Road in Richmond will be closed at railroad crossing for improvements
Hermitage Road will be closed at its crossing of the CSX railroad from Monday, September 19 through Friday, September 30 for work to improve passenger and freight service in the area.
Motorists should consider using East Parham and Hilliard roads as alternate routes between Staples Mill and Woodman roads while access on Hermitage is restricted.
Work is progressing on the critical rail projects that will help ease train congestion in and around Richmond, improving service for both rail passengers and freight rail customers. As construction continues in the area and as students and teachers head back to school, CSX and the DRPT want to remind everyone about the importance of staying safe around the railroad tracks. Click here for more information.
As part of a commitment to provide reliable, on-time rail service, DRPT and CSX freight railroad are working together to complete several rail capacity projects that will improve passenger rail service and freight traffic in and around Richmond, Virginia. Once completed, these new features will ease train traffic congestion and keep trains moving more fluidly.
Construction and engineering teams have designed these projects to be completed as quickly as is safely possible, with as little impact to nearby communities as possible. The timelines below are general outlines of when work is expected to occur. Factors such as weather and other unanticipated events may impact timing of each phase.
- Acca Yard Bypass - In late 2015, crews began shifting tracks within Acca Yard to make room for two new tracks along the western edge of the yard. These bypass tracks will allow passenger and freight trains to pass around the yard, rather than slowing down to pass directly through the center of the yard in its current configuration. This will reduce delays experienced when interacting with freight yard operations. This work is scheduled to be completed in 2018.
- Crossovers - Several new rail crossovers will be built on the tracks south of Richmond, allowing trains to switch between the two main tracks to safely pass other trains. These new crossovers will be located near Richmond's Westover Hills neighborhood, near the Walmsley Boulevard crossing, and near Amtrak's Petersburg Station. Trees will be removed near the construction sites, and trucks will deliver materials such as ballast rock, crossties, rail, and other mechanical components. Heavy equipment will level the ground in preparation for the new track infrastructure, which will be built on site. Finally, cranes will be used to install the new track crossovers and crews will install signals that direct trains on how to proceed through the crossover. All of the crossover work is expected to be completed in 2018.
- New Double Track - Crews will construct approximately eight miles of a second track along the main line from Reams to Carson, along with two more crossovers. The project also involves tree removal, heavy grading and on-site construction of the new track. In the final phase of this project, crews will install signals to direct trains on how to proceed. This project is scheduled to be completed in 2017.
Work for each phase of the project will be done during daylight hours. During this time, neighbors can expect to hear noise from trucks and heavy equipment, as well as train horns. As a safety precaution, train engineers must sound their horns when moving through a construction zone.
Capitalizing on some of the materials and equipment already in place, CSX will also take the opportunity to rebuild and resurface several street-level rail crossings in the area. Local authorities and drivers will be notified of any road closures and detours well in advance so they can plan accordingly.
PROJECT AREA PRESENTLY IMPACTED:
BRANDERS BRIDGE ROAD TRAFFIC BEGINNING AUGUST 1
On August 1, CSX will begin a rail construction project at the Branders Bridge Road (Rt. 625) crossing, located west of the Boulevard/U.S. 301/Route 1. Flaggers will guide traffic through alternating lane closures for the first few weeks, followed by a full closure for approximately three weeks. The closure date and its expected duration length are dependent on weather and work progress.
The Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) and CSX freight railroad are working together to complete several construction projects that will improve service performance for both passenger rail and freight trains south of Richmond. In order to maintain the safety of the construction crews working on this project, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will temporarily close Branders Bridge Road (Rt. 625). While no vehicles will be permitted to cross the railroad tracks at Branders Bridge Road during the full closure, there will be limited access to areas close to the railroad tracks for local traffic only.
VDOT will provide updates once an exact date for the full closure is determined. Detour signs and informational message boards will be posted well in advance to inform drivers of the following detour routes:
- Northbound Branders Bridge Rd. (Rt. 625): Take Woodpecker Rd. (Rt. 626) west to Dupuy Rd. south to Piedmont Ave. east. Take the Boulevard/U.S.301/Rt. 1 north back to Branders Bridge Rd. (Rt. 625) north.
- Southbound Branders Bridge Rd. (Rt. 625): Take the Boulevard/U.S.301/Rt. 1 south to Piedmont Ave. west to Dupuy Rd. north. Turn right onto Woodpecker Rd. (Rt. 626) east back to Branders Bridge Rd. (Rt. 625) south
If you have a question about the project or the work being done, we encourage you to call 1-877-TellCSX (1-877-835-5279).
For more information and to sign up to receive email updates on the progress of the projects, click here.
To see a copy of the flyer that went to residents in the area where improvements are being made, click here.